Mission & Vision
Union Presbyterian Seminary equips Christian leaders for ministry in the world — a sacred vocation that requires deep learning, commitment to service, and an ability to read culture and circumstance in the light of the rich resources of Scripture and theological tradition.
The seminary’s core mission is to participate in the mission of the church by forming and equipping leaders for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ (Eph 4:12).
- We confess the Lordship of Jesus Christ. We believe that Jesus is God in the flesh, the Son of that One whom he called Father. His life, ministry, death and resurrection have transformed the world. As the risen and living Lord, Jesus has called us to bear witness to his transformative presence in the world.
- We serve as a theological resource for church and society.
- We weave together distinctive approaches to theological education for pastoral and educational ministries.
- We educate, inspire, and empower leaders for congregational life, theological scholarship, and bold Christian service to the world.
- We seek to participate faithfully in the Holy Spirit's transformation of the seminary, in the church and through the church, the world.
Our vision for the coming years is captured in two strategic priorities:
- engaging new and revitalizing current degree programs so as to achieve a mission and leadership focus on God’s transformational work in the church and world
- expanding programs for prophetic, missional, and transformative leadership for church leaders and other professionals.
Please review our strategic plan for more information about our new initiatives.