Pathways to Learning and Leadership
Pathways to Learning and Leadership is an online program of nine courses offered over a two-year period to provide educational preparation toward leading a congregation as a Commissioned Ruling Elder. All courses (and two other electives) are also open to church members who want to increase their knowledge and discipleship. Each course is five weeks long.
- Dates: September, 2018 to May, 2019
- Leaders: Union Presbyterian Seminary faculty and experienced practitioners
- Event location: Wherever your computer is!
- Registration: $100 per five-week course
- CEUs: 3.0 per course
- For: Those desiring to become Commissioned Ruling Elders and church members who want to further their education and discipleship
- In addition, we are now offering a self-directed New Testament Survey course, which is online with taped lectures and quizzes. See below for more information. (Old Testament Survey will be available in the fall of 2018)
To assist presbyteries in training women and men to be Commissioned Ruling Elders, AND to offer quality educational opportunities for church members in an affordable and accessible way, the Leadership Institute is offering a program with two tracks:
- Those seeking to become Commissioned Ruling Elders (CREs) take four Foundational Courses in the first year and five Practical Courses in the second year. These courses may be taken in consultation with your presbytery or denominational office to provide educational experiences toward becoming a CRE. Please consult with your presbytery on their particular requirements.
- Church members may take any or all of the courses offered; it is recommended that the four Foundational Courses be taken before others. Church members also have the option of taking any of the electives offered each year. Completion of six courses results in a Certificate of Completion from the Leadership Institute.
Classes offered in the summer of 2018 through the spring of 2019 are:
- Tuesdays, Sept 11 – Oct 9: Biblical Interpretation with Prof. Carson Brisson
- Tuesdays, Oct 23 – Nov 20: Reformed Theology/Church History with Prof. Paul Galbreath
- Tuesdays, Jan 8 – Feb 5: The Christian Life with Prof. Cindy Kissel-Ito
- Mondays, Feb 18 – Mar 18: Mission and Evangelism with Prof. John Vest
- Thursdays, Sep 6 – Oct 4: Worship and Sacraments with Prof. Rebecca Davis
- Thursdays, Oct 18 – Nov 15: Polity and Administration with Rev. H. Carson Rhyne
- Thursdays, Jan 3 – 31: Preaching the Bible with Prof. Rich Voelz
- Thursdays, Feb 14 – Mar 14: Pastoral Care with Prof. Carol Schweitzer
- Thursdays, Mar 28 – May 2 (skipping April 18): Teaching the Bible with Prof. Cindy Kissel-Ito
- Tuesdays, Mar 26 – Apr 30 (skipping Apr 16): The Gospel of Mark with Prof. Brian Blount
Bible Survey – at your own pace on your own timeline.
Click here to register for Phase I, Phase II, and Elective courses in the Pathways program for 2018-19. NOTE: Dates on the registration form are the BEGINNING date of the course/courses. Refer to the schedule above for exact dates.
Click here to register for the New Testament Survey and/or Old Testament Survey self-directed courses. New Testament is available now; Old Testament will be available in the spring of 2019. After you register, you will be sent a login and password to begin the New Testament Survey course. For the Old Testament survey course, registered participants will receive a login and password when the course becomes available in Spring 2019.